The City recently convened an Independent Salary Commission to review City Council compensation. In accordance with IMC 2.90, the Commission is to study the relationship between councilmembers’ salaries and the costs personally incurred by councilmembers to perform these duties.
In addition, the commission will examine how councilmembers’ compensation compares with nearby cities and market conditions. The commission began meeting in April and must complete its report by June 30.
Council salaries were last increased on July 1, 2015 to:
- $1200/month — Councilmembers
- $1350/month — Deputy Council President
- $1450/month — Council President
For more information on current council compensation, view the 2015 salary’s commission report.
The 2023 Independent Salary Commission is currently considering:
- Increasing Council’s base salary
- Increasing pay for those members serving as Council President and Deputy Council President
- Adding an annual cost of living adjustment
- Providing a match (up to $200 per month) for those participating in the City’s 457 plan
- Adding an optional stipend for low-income members
- Adding life insurance and long-term disability benefits
- Determining amounts and related effective dates
A public hearing is currently set for June 6, 2023 to receive public comments regarding an increase to City Council compensation. You can also email the commission your thoughts directly.
Questions regarding the Independent Salary Commission or council salaries can be emailed to Tina Eggers, Chief of Staff.