As the holiday season approaches, there has been an increase in the number of small business commercial burglaries across the City.
These often include the breaking of glass windows or doors and the stealing of cash registers, safes or other on-site equipment. Smaller businesses may be targets as there may be a perceived higher likelihood of having cash left on-site. Issaquah Police Department (IPD) patrol officers are aware of this trend and are increasing patrol time in these areas as calls for service allow.
IPD recently sent out Business Emergency Contact Forms. To date, 168 businesses have shared information with us. In the event of an emergency, this will allow us to contact or notify the right people during response.
Below are suggestions and tips to assist with deterring these types of crimes.
Commercial Crime Prevention Tips
- Lighting! Increase visibility for you and your cameras.
- Keep safes hidden and secure. Make sure the registers are emptied and money is stored in the safe at night.
- Install security devices. Surveillance cameras and alarms are a deterrent for opportunistic criminals.
- Make break-ins difficult. Remove large display items from windows and other entry points or use the blinds at night. Install security film on windows!
- Keep premises clean and tidy. Damaged or outdated displays, burnt out lightbulbs and dirty windows signal neglected premises, which have a higher likelihood of not maintaining surveillance.
- Be alert. Watch out for your neighboring businesses and report any suspicious activity promptly.