In 2018, Washington State voters approved Initiative 940, (now known as the Law Enforcement Training and Community Safety Act, LETCSA) which requires implementation of independent investigation teams (IIT) for officer involved shootings. The Criminal Justice Training Commission was tasked with implementing rules for independent investigations of police shootings. Those rules created the position of community representative, now a required part of IITs.
The goal of this requirement is to enhance accountability and increase trust to improve the legitimacy of policing for an increase in safety for everyone.
Please see the requirements and functions below if you are interested in applying.
- Must be a current resident, business owner, non-profit director/manager, or faith-based leader within the City of Issaquah
- Must meet criminal background check standards
Essential job functions of the LETCSA Community Representative:
- Participate in a review of the qualifications of incumbent and newly appointed Independent Investigations Team (IIT) investigators
- Willingness to serve as a community representative, when called upon, after an officer involved shooting
- Complete a conflict-of-interest assessment tool, provided by the IIT, within 72 hours of the commencement of each investigation in which you participate
- Be present at the briefings with the Issaquah Chief of Police
- Ability to review the investigation file when it is completed
- Access to press releases and communications to the media prior to release
- Sign a binding confidentiality agreement at the beginning of each police use of deadly force investigation that you are participate in, which remains in effect until the prosecutor of jurisdiction either declines to file charges or the criminal case concludes
This is an unpaid position. LETCSA is a voluntary position, not a job and it does not receive a salary, hourly wage or benefits.
- Qualified Candidates will be invited to a remote/virtual interview
- Chief will make recommendation to City Council
- City Council will confirm appointment
- Non-LE Representatives will be provided training at a date to be determined
Interested residents can complete the application here.