Each week there will be different sports themed activities that families can complete. Try to do all the activities within that week and stay active in a healthy, physically distanced way! The key to making this fun is YOUR creativity with the suggested activities!
- Football: July 5 – July 11
- Basketball: July 12 – July 18
- Baseball/Softball: July 19 – July 25
- Volleyball: July 26 – August 1
- Ultimate Frisbee: August 2 – August 8
- Running/Hiking: August 9 – August 15
- Swimming: August 16 – August 22
- Biking: August 23 – August 29
Starting July 5, each week will have a handful of activities for your family to complete, and some include links to YouTube for inspiration. The activities are listed by week are below. Most of these ideas are broad, it’s your job to get creative with how to complete them!
We understand that not all families have the equipment needed to play each sport. If that’s the case, we encourage you to use the concepts as inspiration with materials that you DO have. For example, if you don’t have a basketball hoop for a free throw competition, crinkle up a ball of paper and try to shoot it into a recycling bin in your house!
Each activity counts as 1 point, we want to see how many activities your family can complete in this 8-week summer program!
Send Us Your Stories!
We want to see how creative your family gets! Share your pictures, videos and/or stories with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll highlight some of our favorites on the City of Issaquah – Government social media platforms with your permission!
We want this program to help you and your children stay positive, active and engaged during these difficult times. We understand this is a change to what is typically offered with sports, but we wanted to provide an easily accessible program to help the Issaquah community and surrounding areas!
For any further questions about the program, please contact the coordinator, Lisa Echert.
Weekly Activities by Sport
Football: July 5 – July 11
• Target Practice – How accurate can you get?
• Running Routes (Come up with 5-10 routes)
• Offensive Obstacle Course – Set up safe obstacles you can maneuver around
• Throwing Spirals (20x)
• Touch Down Celebration
• Creative Catches
• Best Halftime Show performance
Basketball: July 12 – July 18
• Lay ups
• Trick shots – in the house, in the backyard, wherever you can think around your home!
• 1 v 1 – King of the Court drill
• Free throws – how many in a row can you make?
• Defensive drills – not in my house!
• Best Dunk Dance
• A game of HORSE or PIG
Baseball/Softball: July 19 – July 25
• Catching fly balls
• Scooping grounders
• Come up with your best 2-3 Dugout Chants
• Base passing (around the horn)
• Strike-outs (pitching)
• Homerun Derby – how many homeruns can you hit in a row?
• Bunting and Base Running
Volleyball: July 26 – August 1
• Bump, Set, Spike Drill
• Vertical jump – how high can you jump?
• Digging drills – all about that defense!
• Ace chants/dances off a serve
• At home wall drills
Ultimate Frisbee: August 2 – August 8
• Frisbee golf
• Passing with a partner
• Offensive Obstacle Course
• Garbage Ball – take an empty trash can and see how many times you can score in the bucket
• Accuracy Passing (tape up paper targets on a wall)
• Complete 5-10 Different throws
Running/Hiking: August 9 – August 15
• Run a 5k (3.1 miles)
• Run a 10k (6.2 miles)
• Make your own medal and running bib
• Family Hike
• Trail Run
• Modified Murph – Run some laps around your house, 10 pullups, 15 pushups, 20 squats, end with running same number of laps around your house
• Backyard Scavenger Hunt
• Swedish Mile or Fartlek Training – Family runs together in a line and then the last person in the line must sprint to get to the front, and continue this for your desired amount of distance
• Relay (pick your distance)
• Speed Maze
Swimming: August 16 – August 22 (It doesn’t have to be in the water, get creative!)
• Marco Polo
• Water balloon fight
• Super Soaker Fun
• Synchronized Swimming Routine
• Cruise Ship (how many flotation devices can you sync up?) Maybe try this with your bathtub toys!
• Diving for treasure
Biking: August 23 – August 29
• Neighborhood Cruise – always wear a helmet and any other protective gear!
• Trail Ride
• Obstacle Course – safety as always! Wear arm and leg pads, too
• Send It - Jump off something safe - curb, made jump, trail jump…
• Uphill battle – challenge yourself by biking UP a big hill and try not to stop
• Bike Safety Plan – how can you get creative in teaching safety for biking?