Insurance & Permits


Insurance is required for most events. Proof of insurance must be supplied to the rental office before your event takes place. Please note that personal homeowner's insurance and alternative special-event policies are not accepted.

Self-Provided Insurance

For Corporations and Nonprofits

Corporations and registered organizations (profit and nonprofit) can supply a copy of their group's existing policy, which must include:

  1. Commercial Liability Insurance Certificate with:
    • City of Issaquah listed as additional insured
    • Coverage in the amount of $1 million per occurrence
    • Liquor liability included and indicated on the policy (if served)
  2. Separate additional insured endorsement

Purchased Insurance

For All Events

For all private events (and corporations or organizations that cannot supply an adequate existing policy), special event insurance can easily be obtained by purchasing a single event policy through the approved GATHERGUARD Program by the city's insurance provider – Washington Cities Insurance Authority.

The cost varies based on the event size and type, length of event and alcohol service. The following chart can be used to determine your cost, although you will need to discuss the specific charges with the rental office.

Insurance Rates

Prices can fluctuate from year to year per annual claims made. This is determined by the insurance agency. Over the last few years, the prices have remained about the same.

WCIA GATHERGUARD Insurance Instructions

Must purchase insurance at least one month prior to your event.


An approved policy will automatically be emailed to you within minutes of completing this online application. A copy will automatically be sent to our facility as well. There is no need for you to forward us a copy of your policy. Access to the program is only available online and payment can be Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover.

Step 1: Event Type

Select your event type or pick from the other event type drop-down list. If you do not see your event category, please call (844) 747-6240 to confirm event eligibility. 

Answer the three yes or no questions as they apply to your event.

Step 2: Event Information

  • Enter the venue code for Pickering Barn, which is 0465-181
  • Enter general liability coverage (e.g., $1 million or $2 million)
  • Enter more information about your event
    • Enter the name of your event
    • Occurrence (e.g., one time or weekly)
    • On the calendar provided, enter your start and end date you will be utilizing the facility.
    • Enter your average daily attendance – (very important for multi-day events).
    • Enter the number of performers, vendors and exhibitors (Leave at zero if there will be none, or, if they will provide their own insurance).
    • Enter additional coverage (if applicable)
    • Click Checkout

Step 3: Insured Information

  • Enter insured name, address, city, state and zip code
  • Enter insurance contact information (phone and email)
  • Enter payment information (We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover)
  • Read carefully and check the applicable boxes then click purchase
  • In a matter of minutes (after credit card approval) an insurance certificate will be emailed to you and a copy of the certificate will also be emailed to our facility for our records. There is no need for you to forward a copy to us.

Step 4: Get your Policy Documents

Note: To complete the purchase, supply proper applicant/insured person information and event contact representative information. Insured person or organization name must match applicant name on our facility contract.

Liquor liability: If alcohol will be a cash bar at your event and/or you are charging tickets/admission fee (with this option additional permitting is required, so contact the office for more information prior to purchasing your insurance).

Additional Liquor Permits

For events with a cash bar or events hosted by a non-profit, additional permits from the Liquor Board may be required when alcohol is present. It is the renter’s responsibility to provide details about their event to our office and to the Liquor Board to determine if additional clarifying questions need to be answered and procure the appropriate permit. While we will assist renters and answer questions throughout the process, you will be managing the details of the event. 

Private Events

Weddings, birthday parties and celebrations do not need a separate Banquet Permit through the Liquor Control Board, but the alcohol must be free to your guests. You can only have a cash bar if your caterer is connected with a restaurant and has a current off-site catering endorsement allowing them to sell alcohol at a location other than their restaurant.

Corporate Events

To offer a hosted bar, these events are required to purchase a Banquet Permit through the Liquor Control Board. You can only have a cash bar if your caterer is connected with a restaurant and has a current off-site catering endorsement allowing them to sell alcohol at a location other than their restaurant.

Nonprofit Events

To serve alcohol, you must purchase either a Banquet Permit (hosted alcohol and free event entrance to your guests) or Special Occasion License (cash bar and/or charged entrance), whichever is applicable. Please discuss the requirements needed for your event prior to booking so you are aware of the additional permitting and fees that may apply. It is the renter’s responsibility to apply for applicable permits in advance of the event. 

Business Licenses

City Business Licenses

If your organizing entity, or your individual participants, make over $3,000 a year at the event you are holding on City property (or elsewhere within the City limits throughout the year), your entity or the individual participants are required to have a City of Issaquah Business License, unless exempted by code. More information is available online. Anyone with questions can call the City of Issaquah Permit Office at 425-837-3116.

State Business Licenses

The State of Washington has different requirements for who needs a business license (which are different and may be in addition to a City of Issaquah license) and, if needed, each participant must have the correct license. The City reserves the right to ask to see any business license (or proof of exemption) at any time. To see if a business requires a State license, view the state's website.