Catering & Alcohol


We have an open-door catering policy, which allows you to bring in a caterer of your choice. 

All food must be prepared in a commercial kitchen, purchased from a commercial store or delivered from a restaurant. The barn does not provide a commercial kitchen. However, we offer a very accommodating preparation space, called the Creamery, for your caterers to utilize.

The Creamery provides one large commercial refrigerator, one 20-cubic-foot chest freezer, one microwave, one hand washing sink, one three-bay rinsing sink, prepping tables, garbage, compost and recycling cans, hanging curtains to block visual access from Dairy Barn, access to the courtyard.

Potlucks are not allowed. All food service should be under the supervision of a licensed caterer. Catering supplies, such as linens, plates, glasses and serving ware, are typically provided by the renter, their caterer, or a rental company. Please be sure to discuss what they provide and the costs prior to contracting with a caterer. The Creamery is the preparation space available for catering. On-site cooking inside the facility is not allowed. Heating or warming is permitted although equipment is not provided.

Baked-goods, such as cakes, pies, cookies, etc. are exempt from this rule, and can be self-provided. 

Food truck service that is open to the public will require proof of insurance as well as listing the City of Issaquah as additional insured on their certificate. Please contact our office for more information if the event will be open to the public. 

Mobile food trucks can be hired to cater your event, but can park only in the following locations:

  • On gravel in front of Hay Barn (we can open the large Hay Barn doors for easy indoor access)
  • In the first few parking spaces, which can be reserved with cones at start of event.

Outdoor grilling conducted by a licensed caterer is permitted within the designated 8-foot by 15-foot gravel/mulch space located and labeled just south of the Creamery. Tarps must be draped over gravel and renter is responsible for proper clean-up. If the use of a pop-up tent is needed, it must be sandbagged to withstand heavy winds — no stakes allowed.

Please do not place grills up against the Creamery glass windows. Leftover grease must be disposed of properly. Grease is not to be poured in our landscaping beds or down our drains.

Bar Service

All alcohol (beer and kegs of beer, white/red wine, champagne and hard alcohol) is allowed at the Pickering Barn.

All alcohol must be served by a licensed Class 12 bartender. Most caterers employ licensed bartenders and can often arrange the bartending service. No self-serve is allowed. Use of privately provided alcohol, including flasks, is not allowed. Open bottles of alcohol, usually wine, on the tables for self-pour service and decoration are also not allowed.

Service must end 1.5 hours prior to your rental end time. Event insurance may apply — please discuss the requirements for host liquor liability with the rental office. 

It is recommended to hire two bartenders per bar, so that as breaks are needed your bar does not have to close to guests during breaks.

Additional Liquor Permits

For events with a cash bar or events hosted by a non-profit, additional permits from the Liquor Board may be required when alcohol is present. It is the renter’s responsibility to provide details about their event to our office and to the Liquor Board to determine if additional clarifying questions need to be answered and procure the appropriate permit. While we will assist renters and answer questions throughout the process, you will be managing the details of the event. 

Private Events

Weddings, birthday parties and celebrations do not need a separate Banquet Permit through the Liquor Control Board, but the alcohol must be free to your guests. You can only have a cash bar if your caterer is connected with a restaurant and has a current off-site catering endorsement allowing them to sell alcohol at a location other than their restaurant.

Corporate Events

To offer a hosted bar, these events are required to purchase a Banquet Permit through the Liquor Control Board. You can only have a cash bar if your caterer is connected with a restaurant and has a current off-site catering endorsement allowing them to sell alcohol at a location other than their restaurant.

Nonprofit Events

To serve alcohol, you must purchase either a Banquet Permit (hosted alcohol and free event entrance to your guests) or Special Occasion License (cash bar and/or charged entrance), whichever is applicable. Please discuss the requirements needed for your event prior to booking so you are aware of the additional permitting and fees that may apply. It is the renter’s responsibility to apply for applicable permits in advance of the event. 

Expectations of Renters

Note: If you did not hire a caterer, then you will be responsible for the caterer's duties.


Unlocks the facility

Delivers and unloads event materials and supplies

Decorates the facility - indoor and outdoor

xxSets up all rental equipment brought in

Sets up our facility equipment - tables, chairs, staging, sound system, AV equipment, etc.

xPrepares catering and bar service area

Coordinates event activities and transitions
xxxMonitors guest and vendor activity

Moves, rearranges or removes facility equipment during your event if requested

xBuses tables
xEmpties garbage, recycling and composting bins
xHauls garbage and recycling to dumpsters and compost to compost bin

Keeps the restroom cleaned and stocked

Takes down decorations – indoor and outdoor

Tears down facility-owned tables and chairs after the event

xxTears down rental equipment

xxCleans up kitchen - sweeping, mopping, wiping down tables and microwave, clearing out fridge and freezer, etc.

Sweeps and mops the facility (excluding the kitchen)

Final restroom cleaning

Shuts windows and locks doors

Order, set-up, manage and tear-down TC Rentals heating units if needed