Home Sewers Do's and Don'ts
Tips to keep your sewer system worry-free and functioning properly.
- Ask a plumber about ways to keep your house sewer line trouble free.
- Report any sewer problems or overflows.
- Deposit all cooking grease, eggshells and coffee grounds in the trash.
- Place a wastebasket in each bathroom for the disposal of solid waste, disposable diapers and personal hygiene products.
- Use only a licensed contractor or plumber to make repairs.
- Flush diapers, sanitary napkins, newspapers, soiled rags or paper towels down toilets.
- Use the toilet as a wastebasket.
- Put cooking grease or eggshells down drains or in garbage disposals.
- Pour chemicals, cleaners, motor oil or solvent down the sewer.
- Plant trees directly over a sewer line; root growth in sewer lines is problematic.
- Dig without calling 811.
- Use an unlicensed or unknown contractor to make repairs.
- Proceed with an expensive sewer line repair without getting a second opinion.