Hillside Park Improvements
Hillside Park is located on Squak Mountain and home to both Upper and Lower Cemeteries. The 44-acre park is mostly forested with an open, grassy 2-acre area that serves as a neighborhood park. The site currently contains a backstop, picnic tables, trash cans and trails, and is the City's only "walk-in" park.
In 2014, public engagement identified the need for this park to have a play area. We are taking the feedback received in 2014 and using is as the starting point for completing these play area improvements.
The evolution of the Hillside Park proposed concept is based on the culminating feedback received from you and other Squak Mountain neighbors.
Please click here to view the proposed concept.
Timeline & Other Engagement
- Feb. 24, 2021: Neighborhood meeting #1 materials:
- June 10, 2021: Neighborhood meeting #2 materials: Video, Presentation from meeting, and supplemental information Arborist Report and Wetland Report.
- June 23, 2021: On-site open house with City staff and consultant team.
- July 26, 2021: Special Park Board meeting held at Hillside Park. Park Board Agenda
- Jan. 25, 2022: Geotechnical Report
- Mar. 28, 2022: Park Board update: Presentation
- May 17, 2022: Neighborhood meeting #3 materials:
- May 19, 2022: On-site Open house with City staff and consultant team
- May 31, 2022: Public comments received on preliminary conceptual design
- Aug. 2022: Public comments received on proposed concept design
- Sept. 29, 2022: Park Board supports the conceptual design and recommends the project move forward into design and permitting
- Begin final design and permitting processes for playfield (wetland including mitigation), trail connectivity and other park improvements;
- Construction of this capital project is expected to occur in 2023.