Need Help?

Federal, state and local governments are working to help those in need during the COVID-19 outbreak. Be sure to check back to this page as more resources are posted.

Still need help? Email us.

  1. Bills
  2. Food
  3. Jobs
  4. Youth
  5. More Help

Rental Assistance

If you don’t have enough money to pay, contact your landlord immediately. Most landlords are working with tenants on identifying a payment plan to help pay overdue rent. Rental assistance programs also exist to provide assistance.

Homeowner Assistance

  • Homeowners with FHA, USDA, VA, or Section 184 or 184A mortgages (for members of federally-recognized tribes) and those with mortgages backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac have the right to request forbearance on their payments for up to 6 months, with a possible extension for another 6 months without fees, penalties, or extra interest. Homeowners should contact their mortgage servicing company directly. 
  • Still need help? Call the Washington home-ownership hotline at 877-894-HOME.

Paying Utilities

If you need help paying your utility bills, contact your service provider immediately.

Economic Impact Payments

The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service announced that distribution of economic impact payments will begin in the next three weeks and will be distributed automatically, with no action required for most people. However, some seniors and others who typically do not file returns will need to submit a simple tax return to receive the stimulus payment.

Student Loans 

If you need help with your student loans, you may be able to temporarily suspend your payments by applying for a deferment or forbearance from the U.S. Department of Education.

Other Resources 

  • The Washington State Department of Financial Institutions has developed a list of financial resources for Washington consumers impacted by COVID-19.
  • Free mediation resources from King County to help with conflict resolution due to COVID-19.