Do I Need a Permit?

Where Do You Live?

The City of Issaquah administers permits for properties that reside in its limits. The neighborhoods of Klahanie and Mirrormont are not within the City of Issaquah's jurisdiction. The dotted lines on the map indicate the city limits. Please contact the Permit Center at 425-837-3100 if you are not sure.

City Boundaries Map Opens in new windowFor properties in unincorporated King County (like Mirrormont) contact the King County Department of Permitting and Environmental Review.

For properties in Klahanie, contact the City of Sammamish Permit Center.

Required Permits

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit. If it looks like you'll need a permit, see our process overview.

The eCityGov Alliance has prepared a tipsheet for single family properties with frequent questions about whether a permit is required or not. See the Permits When Required Tipsheet (PDF).

Customer Assistance Memos

Common Permit Topics

  1. Decks
  2. Re-roofs

A building permit is required when making any modifications to a deck that is more than 30 inches above grade (measured to the lowest point within six feet of the deck). Be aware that even if no permit is required, any modified decks or patios must still meet current land use regulations. Contact the Permit Center if you are not sure. See the Decks / Fences web page.

Permit Not Required

Most improvements on a residential or commercial lot require a permit. The following are examples that do not need a permit:

  • One story-detached accessory buildings used as a tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided that the projected floor area does not exceed 200 square feet, and there are no zoning setback issues.
  • Fences not over 6 feet in height (other fence regulations may apply).
  • Moveable cases, counters and partitions not over five feet, nine inches in height.
  • Retaining walls that are not over four feet in height, measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids or requiring more than 30 cubic feet of excavation and fill in order to construct the wall.
  • Decks, platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade at any point within five horizontal feet, and not over any basement or story below.
  • Painting, papering and similar finish work.
  • Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of a single family home and Group U Occupancies when not projecting more than 54 inches.
  • Unless otherwise exempted, plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits may be required for the above exempted items. Call the Permit Center at 425-837-3100.

More Assistance

If you are not sure, the Permit Center is happy to assist you!